A rare Rolex Submariner retailed by Cartier is among the most intriguing lots in Heritage Auctions
Watches & Fine Timepieces Auction June 3 in New York. The auction includes 465 lots from an array of popular watchmakers, including Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin, Rolex and F.P. Journe.
This auction includes a wide range of exceptional watches for collectors of all levels, Heritage Auctions Watches & Fine Timepieces Director Jim Wolf said. Having such a collection of lots like this from so many elite watch makers only strengthens Heritage Auctions stature as a leader in collectible timepieces.
Rolex, Extremely Rare Submariner, Retailed by Cartier, Ref. 5513/0, Stainless Steel, Circa 1967 is offered by the original owner and purchaser, an avid diver and founder of the New York Sea Gypsies dive club. From its inception in 1905, Rolex has been offered by the most exclusive and important jewelers in the world. With respect to the greatest of jewelers such as Tiffany & Co., and Joyeria Riveria, whose store signatures are featured on Rolex dials, the rarest and most coveted are Rolex timepieces retailed by the house of Cartier.
A Patek Philippe, Very Fine Ref. 5970P-001, Single Sealed Unused Platinum Chronograph With Perpetual Calendar, Moon Phases, Tachometer And 24 Hour Indication, Circa 2009 is offered in factory new pristine condition, single sealed. The lot includes the original wood presentation box, Certificate of Origin, an owners manual, an additional solid platinum case back, adjusting tools, all tags and all original supporting documents.
The 40mm platinum case includes a concave bezel, curved and fluted lugs, sapphire crystals and a diamond set on the rim between the lower lugs. The black dial features applied white gold faceted baton indexes, subsidiary dials for the seconds, 24 hours, 30-minute register and leap year. It is signed Patek Philippe Geneve on the case, dial and movement.
A Vacheron Constantin, A Very Rare & Unique White Gold, Diamond Perpetual Calendar With Moon Phase Pocket Watch, Ref. 57535/000G-8, Matching Chain, Box & Papers, Circa 1990s is accompanied by a diamond-set 18k while gold vest chain, Certificate of Origin booklet, outer box and fitted burlwood presentation box, and is signed Vacheron Constantin on the case, dial, movement and chain. The pave diamond-set dial boasts baguette diamond indexes, subsidiary dials for the four-year cycle, month, day of the week, date and phase of the moon.
A Rolex, Fine and Rare Ref. 8171 Padellone, Triple Calendar with Moonphase, 18K Yellow Gold, Automatic, Circa 1950, nicknamed Padellone (or Large Frying Pan), is being offered at auction for the first time, and is considered one of the most important timepieces Rolex introduced during the late 1940s and early 1950s.
The 38mm diameter is unusually large for watches made during the time, helping it to stand out from other vintage or modern Rolexes, due to the non-oyster case and full calendar moonphase complication. The brushed silver dial, with matte outer date and outer minute tracks, applied yellow gold baton markers and day, month and moonphase apertures, is set in an 18k gold case with quickset buttons for day, month, date and moonphase.
Also included among the 72 Rolexes offered in the auction:
· Rolex, Very Fine Ref. 6263 Cosmograph, Red Daytona, Full Set, Circa 1985
· Tudor, Very Rare and Fine Ref. 7922, Oyster Prince Submariner, Early Series, Circa 1954
· Rolex, Very Rare Ref. 6239 Blue Daytona, Oyster Cosmograph, Stainless Steel, Circa 1967
· Rolex, Double Red Sea-Dweller/Submariner, Ref. 1655, Stainless Steel, Circa 1974
· Rolex, Unworn Daytona Cosmograph, 18k Yellow Gold, Ref. 116528, Circa 2015
Other top lots include, but are not limited to:
· Patek Philippe, Very Fine Ref. 1463, Waterproof Chronograph, 18k Yellow Gold, Manual Wind, Circa 1963
· Patek Philippe, Very Fine Ref. 5102G, Celestial Sky Chart, 18k White Gold, Circa 2005
· Patek Philippe, Fine Ref. 4908/50 Twenty4 White Gold And Pave Diamond Ladies Wristwatch Circa 2002
· Girard Perregaux, Opera 3, Mozart & Tchaikovsky Musical Timepiece, Platinum, Ref. 9979, No. 3, Circa 2003
· Breguet, Very Rare and Fine Minute Repeater Perpetual Calendar, Platinum, Ref. 5447, Circa 2007
· FP Journe, Chronometre Optimum, Platinum Constant Force Remontoire, Circa 2012