The First Art Newspaper on the Net   Established in 1996 Thursday, November 26, 2020


Opera star Placido Domingo withdraws from all future Met performances
In this file photo taken on August 28, 2019 Spanish tenor Placido Domingo performs during his concert in the newly inaugurated sports and culture centre 'St Gellert Forum' in Szeged, southern Hungary. Domingo, the legendary opera singer facing myriad sexual harassment accusations, is withdrawing from all future performances at New York's Metropolitan Opera, both he and the institution announced on September 24, 2019. The 11th-hour decision comes just one night before the 78-year-old Spaniard dubbed the "king of opera," who denies all allegations, was scheduled to perform in the Met's production of "Macbeth." Attila KISBENEDEK / AFP.

by Maggy Donaldson



NEW YORK (AFP).- Placido Domingo, the legendary opera singer facing myriad sexual harassment accusations, is withdrawing from all future performances at New York's Metropolitan Opera, both he and the institution announced Tuesday.

The 11th-hour decision comes just one night before the 78-year-old Spaniard dubbed the "King of Opera" was scheduled to perform the title role in the Met's sold-out first production of "Macbeth."

"Placido Domingo has agreed to withdraw from all future performances at the Met, effective immediately," the opera said in a statement obtained by AFP, saying that the bankable star agreed "that he needed to step down."

Domingo -- who has been a conductor and director of some of the world's most prestigious opera houses, and debuted at the Met at age 27 -- said in a separate statement that he had in fact "asked to withdraw."

"I strongly dispute recent allegations made about me, and I am concerned about a climate in which people are condemned without due process," the singer currently accused of harassment by 20 women said.

But "upon reflection, I believe that my appearance in this production of Macbeth would distract from the hard work of my colleagues both on stage and behind the scenes," he said.

"As a result, I have asked to withdraw and I thank the leadership of the Met for graciously granting my request," he continued, saying he considered his final dress rehearsal his "last performance on the Met stage."

'Ladies man'
In August eight singers and a dancer told the Associated Press about incidents going back to the 1980s, including one in which a woman said Domingo put his hand down her skirt while three others said he forcibly kissed them.

A subsequent report by the US news agency cited 11 more women, including one who said he reached down her robe to grab her bare breast.

The reports painted a portrait of a man who acted with impunity, shielded by his power as one of opera's foremost stars, as a whisper network formed warning women of his alleged reputation.

Some classical music companies were quick to err on the side of caution, notably the Philadelphia Orchestra and the San Francisco Opera, which immediately canceled his upcoming performances.

The Dallas Opera then canceled a March 2020 gala concert featuring Domingo.

The Los Angeles Opera -- where has served as general director since 2003 -- hired outside counsel to investigate allegations a probe still ongoing.

The Met previously had said it would wait for those results, and Domingo's split with the Manhattan house comes after reports of internal strife over Domingo's continued association there.

The American Guild of Musical Artists has also launched an independent investigation into accusations against Domingo, "given the uncertainty surrounding the investigations of our signatory companies," its national executive director Len Egert announced earlier this month.

Many fans and fellow performers leapt to Domingo's defense when the accusations broke, with many calling him an innocent "ladies man" who women adored.

An NPR report said the Met Opera's general manager, Peter Gelb, had held a closed door meeting over the weekend to tell employees he had not suspended Domingo because the AP accounts lacked "corroboration."

According to the report many employees at the Met had confided anger and fear over Domingo's continued work there, with one person even calling in sick to avoid work with the artist.

The growing #MeToo scandal comes not long after the Met ended its decades long relationship with James Levine, the house's former music director who was fired in 2018 after nine men publicly accused him of sexual abuse.

Domingo now has a string of European dates on the calendar, including Zurich on October 13 and Moscow October 17.

European houses have thus far taken more of a wait-and-see stance, and he's received standing ovations at shows in Salzburg and Hungary that took place weeks after the accusations dropped.

Domingo's next performances stateside are set to begin February 22 at the Los Angeles Opera, which did not respond to a request for comment on the star's break with the Met.


© Agence France-Presse










Today's News

September 25, 2019

"Wednesday Society" exhibition on view at Artam Antik A.S.

James Cohan opens an exhibition of important works by the late Nam June Paik

Opera star Placido Domingo withdraws from all future Met performances

Traditional Jewish instrument that survived Auschwitz shown in New York

Allora & Calzadilla open an exhibition of new works at Gladstone Gallery

Hauser & Wirth opens the first solo L.A. exhibition in over half a century dedicated to Philip Guston

UC Berkeley Art Museum and Pacific Film Archive Director Lawrence Rinder steps down

The McMullen Museum of Art at Boston College presents four innovative fall exhibitions

'The Monster' roars as PSA Current #2 finest T206 set smashes multiple world records in Heritage $2.75 million auction

Replica of beloved Josef Albers mural "Manhattan" has returned to original home in lobby of 200 Park Avenue

Bonhams appoints Amelia Manderscheid as Senior Director of Post-War & Contemporary Art, Americas

Swann Galleries announces a sale of Fine Books & Manuscripts

The Wallace Collection to lend works for the first time

Dallas Museum of Art appoints Vivian Li Curator of Contemporary Art

Milestone's auction features important relics from Civil War through Gulf War era

The Bronx Museum of the Arts opens the first U.S. retrospective of photographer Henry Chalfant

Hunters Point Library opens to the public

Tiffany, Picasso, marble statuary and furniture highlight Fontaine's Auction Gallery sale

Exhibition by Sidsel Meineche Hansen opens at Chisenhale Gallery

Newark Museum exhibitions showcase different routes to a meaningful life

The breakdancers of Kabul: Afghan youth busting moves

Davis Museum opens major solo exhibition of multimedia works by Fatimah Tuggar

Solo exhibition of works by influential Californian artist Ron Nagle opens in London

Remington's Bronco Buster among coveted western choices in Heritage Auctions' American Art auction

The Grand Canal, Venice by Irma Stern leads Bonhams Modern and Contemporary African Art Sale

Mr Brainwash





Museums, Exhibits, Artists, Milestones, Digital Art, Architecture, Photography,
Photographers, Special Photos, Special Reports, Featured Stories, Auctions, Art Fairs,
Anecdotes, Art Quiz, Education, Mythology, 3D Images, Last Week, .

 



Founder:
Ignacio Villarreal
(1941 - 2019)
Editor & Publisher: Jose Villarreal
Art Director: Juan José Sepúlveda Ramírez

Royalville Communications, Inc
produces:

ignaciovillarreal.org avemariasound.org juncodelavega.com facundocabral-elfinal.org
Founder's Site. The most varied versions
of this beautiful prayer.
Hommage
to a Mexican poet.
Hommage
       

The First Art Newspaper on the Net. The Best Versions Of Ave Maria Song Junco de la Vega Site Ignacio Villarreal Site
Tell a Friend
Dear User, please complete the form below in order to recommend the Artdaily newsletter to someone you know.
Please complete all fields marked *.
Sending Mail
Sending Successful