In Malaysia fund scandal, DiCaprio returns Oscar won by Brando
The First Art Newspaper on the Net    Established in 1996 Saturday, April 5, 2025


In Malaysia fund scandal, DiCaprio returns Oscar won by Brando
In this file photo US actor Leonardo DiCaprio gives a speech at the start of the 11th Hour auction at Christie's in New York, May 13, 2013. AFP PHOTO/Emmanuel Duand.



LOS ANGELES (AFP).- Hollywood star Leonardo DiCaprio confirmed Friday that he has turned over an Oscar won by Marlon Brando, along with other gifts, amid an inquiry into a multibillion-dollar money-laundering scheme involving a Malaysian sovereign wealth fund.

US authorities are seeking to recover billions in money and assets allegedly embezzled by businessmen with political connections in Malaysia. The scandal has rocked the Malaysian governing class, exposing Prime Minister Najib Razak to allegations of corruption, which he has denied.

A spokesman for DiCaprio said in a statement that the 42-year-old actor had contacted the US Justice Department last July after learning of a civil action against "certain parties involved in the making of 'The Wolf of Wall Street,'" a movie in which DiCaprio starred.

He offered to surrender to US authorities any gifts "from the parties named in the civil complaint."

DiCaprio "initiated return of these items," said the statement provided to AFP. It said he did so before the US government on Thursday filed a new complaint that cited the Red Granite production company behind "The Wolf of Wall Street."

"He has also returned an Oscar originally won by Marlon Brando, which was given to Mr. DiCaprio as a set gift by Red Granite to thank him for his work on "The Wolf of Wall Street.'"

Jets, apartments and royalties
US authorities announced Thursday that they intended to seize more than a half-billion dollars in additional assets acquired with money embezzled from the 1MDB Malaysian sovereign fund, at the heart of a vast international scandal.

Those assets include a $261 million yacht purchased by Malaysian businessman Jho Low, as well as paintings by Picasso and Jean-Michel Basquiat; and the royalties of "Dumb and Dummer To" and "Daddy's Home."

Those films were also produced by Red Granite, a Los Angeles company co-founded by Riza Aziz, son-in-law of Razak.

In a statement received Friday, Red Granite said it was in "active" discussions with the Justice Department.

The US authorities first moved in July 2016 to recover some $1 billion in assets, including private jets, luxury apartments and royalties from "The Wolf of Wall Street."

The Justice Department said those assets had been acquired as part of an "international conspiracy" intended to launder billions of dollars embezzled from 1MDB, or 1Malaysia Development Berhad, a public fund created in 2009. Razak is its advisory chair.

Razak created the fund shortly after coming to power in 2009, saying it would help modernize the country.

1MDB now carries debt of some 10 billion euros ($11.2 billion). The prime minister and fund officials have consistently denied any wrongdoing.


© Agence France-Presse










Today's News

June 17, 2017

Rijksmuseum stages major retrospective of 19th-century photography

Fitzwilliam Museum acquires newly discovered Gérôme portrait

The Whitney to receive two key prewar paintings by Hopper and Hassam

Christie's sets world auction record for an Enigma Machine sold to online bidder

The Colección Patricia Phelps de Cisneros donates 119 works of colonial art to five museums

MCA, Tate and Qantas announce five new Australian artwork acquisitions

Exhibition at Montreal Museum of Fine Arts explores the ideals of the late 1960s

Royal Ontario Museum exhibition explores the artistic evolution of Anishinaabeg art

Bilingual exhibition traces history of New York Salsa

The Royal Institute of British Architects opens national architecture centre

The Metropolitan Museum of Art announces new membership program

The Hague Museum of Photography opens major Peter Hujar retrospective

In Malaysia fund scandal, DiCaprio returns Oscar won by Brando

Jack Fischer Gallery opens exhibits works by Ted Larsen

Museum of Sex appoints Serge Becker as Creative and Artistic Director

Portrait of English Civil War turncoat offered at Bonhams Old Master Paintings Sale

Musée des Beaux-Arts de Dole brings together around 80 paintings and works on paper by Steve Gianakos

Carnegie Museum of Art launches new Bradford Young installation

Exhibition of Beverly Buchanan's shack sculptures and drawings opens at David Klein Gallery

Anila Quayyum Agha wins Cincinnati Art Museum's Schiele Prize; Light-based installation now on view

Fine and Decorative Arts Auction realizes $1.5 million for Heritage

Emma Hart & Jonathan Baldock's radical reimagining of Punch & Judy at Grundy Art Gallery




Museums, Exhibits, Artists, Milestones, Digital Art, Architecture, Photography,
Photographers, Special Photos, Special Reports, Featured Stories, Auctions, Art Fairs,
Anecdotes, Art Quiz, Education, Mythology, 3D Images, Last Week, .

 



Founder:
Ignacio Villarreal
(1941 - 2019)
Editor & Publisher: Jose Villarreal
(52 8110667640)

Art Director: Juan José Sepúlveda Ramírez
Writer: Ofelia Zurbia Betancourt

Royalville Communications, Inc
produces:

ignaciovillarreal.org juncodelavega.com facundocabral-elfinal.org
Founder's Site. Hommage
to a Mexican poet.
Hommage
       

The First Art Newspaper on the Net. The Best Versions Of Ave Maria Song Junco de la Vega Site Ignacio Villarreal Site
Tell a Friend
Dear User, please complete the form below in order to recommend the Artdaily newsletter to someone you know.
Please complete all fields marked *.
Sending Mail
Sending Successful