Josh Elizetxe is the high profile of the world's most popular and highest selling oral teeth whitening company, SNOW (trysnow.com). But before making it big with his company, Josh grew up completely poor living in the slums of Phoenix, Arizona. Now, with celebrities like the Kardashians, Chuck Liddell, Rob Gronkowski, Floyd Mayweather and others all being fans, Josh has proven that with the right passion, idea and mindset, anyone can make it.
And what would "making it" not be if you couldn't use your wealth and connections to collect the things you love, like art?! Josh is a huge art collector and has been interested in all types of art since he was sixteen-years-old. It was when he turned 18 that he finally had enough money to purchase a major piece and since then his collection has grown.
We chatted with Josh in an exclusive Q&A to find out more about his love of art and which artists have caught his eye...
1. When did you first become interested in art and buying various types of art?
I became interested in art at the age of 16 when I first visited my mentors home and he showed me some of the old classic pieces he had. I got curious looking at some of the pieces from the late 1800s by legendary greats.
2. What and when was your first big art purchase?
My first big art purchase was at the age of 18 and it was my Alec Monopoly piece called "Make It Rain. Hes also a personal and dear friend of mine. Another one of my first purchases was a porcelain plate from Jean-Michel Basquiat.
3. You are one of the rare collectors that has pieces hanging in your house from artists such as Alec Monopoly, Savy, and Banksy. What about these artists attracts you most to their work?
I think their contemporary & creative approach is what draws me towards these artists pieces. Its the same approach that I bring in my business or when designing a new product. I take inspiration from their artwork and try to apply it.
4. How do you usually go about buying the art you have?
If I come across a piece that I like, I usually will inquire about it. If it's a piece that I can constantly come to for inspiration in life or business, those are the ones I like having around, since the meanings around them are endless. Occasionally, Ill have artists that I know inform me if theyre working on a new project that I may be interested in.
5. You are also working with some big named designers and artists on design collaborations for your upcoming limited edition Snow products. What can you tell us about this?
We are definitely taking inspiration from legends like Elvis Presley and high-end luxury brands like Louis Vuitton. Our limited edition products like these will be showcased at Neiman Marcus later this year or early 2021.
6. Why is art and design so important to the success of a product and the way it's perceived?
Its all about perception. Visually-pleasing designs generally tend to perform a lot better in sales than ones that look like they were put together the day before. If you look at brands like Apple, youll see how much attention to detail they put in their packaging, their iOS, their device, and even their flagship stores.
7. Why do you believe art is so important to our world, and important for people to keep on creating it?
I think without artists, there wouldnt be any dreamers. Its important to dream, its important to escape into art. Art by nature feeds into your natural curiosity, which as most people get older tend to lose. With art, we can stay young, we can stay sharp, and we can become inspired.
8. Anything else art-related you would like to say or discuss?
If you can get your hands on a Banksy or Alec Monopoly, Id highly recommend it. In general, any piece of artwork is nice to have around to give you that extra inspiration when you are in most need.