The First Art Newspaper on the Net    Established in 1996 Saturday, December 3, 2022


Florida man defends dinosaur's import
Eric Prokopi, 37, struck back Thursday at the U.S. government's account of the Tyrannosaurus bataar fossil it seeks to hand over to Mongolia.

By: Larry Neumeister, Associated Press



NEW YORK (AP).- A Florida dealer of fossils who acquired the remains of a dinosaur that the government plans to seize says he is "not some international bone smuggler" and that he risked his finances and reputation to put together the skeleton to promote a love of science in others.

Eric Prokopi, 37, struck back Thursday at the U.S. government's account of the Tyrannosaurus bataar fossil it seeks to hand over to Mongolia.

"I'm just a guy in Gainesville, Florida trying to support my family, not some international bone smuggler," he said in a statement obtained by The Associated Press.

He said transforming chunks of rocks and broken bones "into an impressive skeleton took thousands of hours and every penny my wife and I had, but it was fascinating.

"We were thrilled and couldn't wait to share him with the world, and hoped it would inspire others to see the magic of paleontology and develop a love of science and appreciation of nature," Prokopi said.

Prokopi contested government claims in papers it filed in federal court in Manhattan this week that the skeleton was brought from Great Britain to Gainesville in March 2010 with erroneous claims that it had originated in Great Britain and was worth only $15,000. It was sold at auction last month for more than $1 million, though the sale is contingent upon the outcome of litigation.

A judge earlier this week said the government could seize the 8-foot-tall, 24-foot-long skeleton from a Queens art storage facility because it appears the government will succeed in its claims. The skeleton was scheduled to be picked up Friday. Prokopi accused the government of caving to the will of Mongolia, saying he hoped "the American legal system will uphold the American laws and not sacrifice my rights and freedoms to please a foreign government out for a political trophy."

The commercial paleontologist said that the U.S. government wrongly claimed he misrepresented what was being imported and its value.

"I can wholeheartedly say the import documents are not fraudulent, a truth I am confident will be brought to light in the coming weeks," he said. "The value was declared much lower than the auction value because, quite simply, it was loose, mostly broken bones and rocks with embedded bones. It was not what you see today, a virtually complete, mounted skeleton."

Ellen Davis, a spokeswoman for government lawyers, declined to comment Thursday.

Prokopi said and his wife hoped the skeleton would be bought by a museum or collector who would put it in a public forum, but the controversy that erupted caused museums to back out of the sale.

Prokopi also challenged assertions by experts that the skeleton had to originate in Mongolia, saying it was true that they are mainly known to come from the Gobi desert of Mongolia, "but they've also been found elsewhere, and it's certainly possible a new locality with complete specimens was discovered in another country."

He said they were "stunned by some of the public's reaction to the sale because commercial paleontology and private collectors are a vital part of bringing some of nature's most precious treasures to museum's worldwide."

Prokopi also challenged claims by some experts that the skeleton was collected poorly.

"I believe this specimen was expertly excavated, and the only damage that was done was caused by the elements," he said. "The claws and some teeth had weathered away and some teeth had slipped out before burial. I believe this specimen was expertly excavated, and the only damage that was done was caused by the elements."

He said claims by experts that it had been unearthed in the last 17 years could not be trusted.

"Other than the diggers, there is no way for anyone to know for certain when or where the specimen was collected," Prokopi said.

He defended commercial paleontology, saying the business was "full of intelligent, passionate people who love paleontology, not bone smugglers just looking to steal from important scientific research."

He said he was "headed toward total financial ruin" because the lost sale of the dinosaur had "irreparably devastated my family financially, it has cost several people their jobs, taken an emotional toll on my life and two young children and damaged my reputation as a commercial paleontologist."

Prokopi added: "If it weren't for people like me, some of these bones would just turn to dust and none of us would ever get to see or study them."


Copyright 2012 The Associated Press.










Today's News

June 23, 2012

Christie's sets a world auction record for an American book or historical document

Houston man charged with vandalizing 1929 Picasso at the city's Menil Collection

Rediscovered Old Master and early British drawings & watercolours at Christie's in July

New York Police Department: Man swiped Salvador Dali painting from art gallery

Hepworth Wakefield's second year of Contemporary exhibitions opens with works by Richard Long

First exhibition at Yvon Lambert by French architect Claude Parent opens in Paris

Phillips de Pury & Company to support Britain Creates 2012: Fashion & Art Collusion

Raza and Gaitonde lead Saffronart's Summer Art Auction, where 86% of lots sold

Exhibition of work by British artist Jenny Saville opens at Modern Art Oxford

Britain's 50 best new buildings: 2012 Royal Institute of British Architects Awards announced

Lee Kit to represent Hong Kong at the 55th International Art Exhibition of the 2013 Venice Biennale

Regen Projects announces gallery relocation to new building in the heart of Hollywood

Hood Museum of Art's Lesley Wellman named 2012 National Museum Art Educator of the Year

Florida man defends dinosaur's import

First U.S. museum survey of Josiah McElheny opens at the Institute of Contemporary Art/Boston

Bonhams tick up huge prices for clock that bombs could not stop and one that had not moved for 279 years

Second Annual ArtMRKT Hamptons set to hit the beach

Portland Museum of Art in Maine launches new brand

Elvis Presley's crypt pulled from auction block




Museums, Exhibits, Artists, Milestones, Digital Art, Architecture, Photography,
Photographers, Special Photos, Special Reports, Featured Stories, Auctions, Art Fairs,
Anecdotes, Art Quiz, Education, Mythology, 3D Images, Last Week, .

 



Founder:
Ignacio Villarreal
(1941 - 2019)
Editor & Publisher: Jose Villarreal
Art Director: Juan José Sepúlveda Ramírez

Royalville Communications, Inc
produces:

ignaciovillarreal.org juncodelavega.com facundocabral-elfinal.org
Founder's Site. Hommage
to a Mexican poet.
Hommage
       

The First Art Newspaper on the Net. The Best Versions Of Ave Maria Song Junco de la Vega Site Ignacio Villarreal Site
Tell a Friend
Dear User, please complete the form below in order to recommend the Artdaily newsletter to someone you know.
Please complete all fields marked *.
Sending Mail
Sending Successful